By Rebecca Gawthorne – Dietitian & Nutritionist
We all know beauty starts from the inside. If you nourish your body with the correct healthy foods, you will shine from the inside out. And when it comes to flawless skin, hair and nails, beauty supplements can boost your radiance and improve your beauty routine.
But gone are the days where supplements are loaded with toxic chemical ingredients; that’s so 2015! The New Year is all about natural beauty. Healthy, real foods and superfood ingredients that can naturally promote clear skin, shiny hair and strong nails. To help get your beauty shining for 2016 and stay that way for years to come, say hello to Vida Glow’s very own Beauty Blend!
The Beauty Blend
Vida Glow’s Beauty Blend is a nutritious combination natural superfoods that promote healthy hair, skin and nails as well an overall healthy body. As Vida Glow’s resident Dietitian and Nutritionist, I helped develop Vida Glow’s Beauty Blend to nourish your hair, skin and nails from within. The synergy of the super foods and probiotics in the blend work to enhance your inner and outer glow, giving you energy as well as boosting the intakes of the nutrients vital for optimising your beauty wellbeing.
Vida Glow’s Beauty Blend is a powerful combination of high quality ingredients - raw cacao powder, blueberry powder, chia seed powder, pumpkin seed powder, flaxseed powder, probiotics (lactobacillus acidophilus & bifidocacterium lactis) & manuka honey powder. These healthy constituents of the beauty blend provide a rich source of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, antioxidants and probiotics that work together to give you a glowing complexion, strengthen your digestive and immune system and give your whole body a beautiful radiance.
The Beauty Blend Ingredients
I selected each natural superfood ingredient to be added to Vida Glow’s Beauty Blend due to their nourishing, healthy beauty benefits:
- Raw cacao & blueberry powder – Packed full of antioxidants, these two natural superfood powders are vital in the maintenance of healthy cells, especially skin cells. Antioxidant levels in foods are measured by their Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity, or ORAC score; the ability of antioxidants to absorb free radicals, which normally cause cell and tissue damage. The higher the ORAC score, the higher the level of antioxidants present in the food. Raw Cacao Beans has the highest ORAC score. Cacao and blueberries, being high in antioxidants (like Vitamin C) neutralise free radicals that consume collagen and elastin - the fibres that support skin structure - and can cause wrinkles and other signs of premature ageing. One serving of Blueberries alone gives you almost 25% of your daily value of vitamin C. Vitamin C assists collagen formation and also maintains healthy gums as well as a healthy immune system. Raw Cacao and Blueberries, due to these strong antioxidant effects, protect the skin from overexposure to the sun and pollution. Blueberries also contain the unique, phenol-like antioxidants pterostilbene and resveratrol, and are a very good source of vitamin K, manganese fibre and copper.
- Chia & flax seed powder - Chia and flax seeds both contain high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for forming the cellular structure of skin and hair. Omega-3s help ensure your skin remains supple through its ability to retain moisture & promote skin hydration. Omega-3s are also anti-inflammatory, aiding to reduce skin irritations. Chia seeds and flaxseeds, along with pumpkin seeds, are also high in protein, which is essential for skin, hair and nail growth. Protein is used by our bodies to build and repair tissues and is integral to the structure of all cells, including our skin, hair and nails. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. There are nine essential amino acids, which must be obtained from food, as our bodies cannot synthesis them. Chia contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a ‘complete’ protein.
- Pumpkin Seed Powder – Pumpkin seeds are high in the vitamins, minerals and trace elements needed skin cell regeneration, tissue repair and the formulation of collagen and elastin, thus supporting skin structure, reducing visible wrinkles and other signs of premature ageing. Like chia and flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds are also high in iron which transports oxygen to tissues to give your skin a healthy glow. They also contain good levels of calcium, magnesium and phosphorus which are needed for strong nails, healthy blood, energy metabolism and overall vitality. Zinc, a mineral needed for a healthy immune system & the turnover of and repair of skin cells, is also found in pumpkin seeds.
- Probiotics lactobacillus acidophilus & bifidocacterium lactis – Essential for healthy gut functioning, probiotics are beneficial for outer beauty as they help balance the level of gut flora in our digestive systems. Probiotics improve digestion, help the absorption of minerals and strengthens the immune system; all which is needed for absorption of nutrients for healthy skin and formation and regeneration of collagen and skin, hair and nails.
- Manuka honey powder - Known for its immune boosting abilities and high mineral content, Manuka honey not only adds a delicious flavour to the Beauty Blend but, benefits your skin and hair with B vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium & zinc.
How to Enjoy Vida Glow’s Beauty Blend
The Beauty Blend can be mixed into any drink (think water, smoothies, protein shake, tea or coffee) or added to your breakfast. It dusts perfectly over cereals, porridge, pancakes, toast and yoghurt and can even be sprinkled through your lunch salad!